Last Friday, a grand jury indicted an unspecified individual in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation. A judge sealed the indictment on Friday, and unsealed the document this morning. The document revealed that former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort and his associate Rick Gates were indicted by the grand jury on twelve different counts. The charges consist of conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principle, false statements and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign banks and financial accounts. Manafort and Gates were both told to surrender themselves to the FBI on Monday for processing, and are also expected in federal court Monday afternoon.
Manafort has been a major subject of Mueller’s investigation. Back in July 2017, The FBI conducted an armed raid of Manafort’s Virgina home. Manafort has many known business relationships with foreign governments, most notably with former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. Manafort was hired by the Trump campaign in March 2016, but was fired in August 2016 after his questionable foreign business practices became clear. Manafort, President Trump and campaign employees have denied allegations of collusion with Russia, and the charges against Manafort are related to events prior to being hired by the Trump campaign, making the collusion narrative less likely to be true.
Timeline of Events:
- July 26, 2017- FBI Conducts an Armed Raid of Paul Manafort’s Home in Alexandria, Virginia
- August 3, 2017- Special Counsel Robert Mueller Impanels A Grand Jury in Russia Probe
- October 5, 2017- Former Trump Campaign Staffer George Papadopoulos Secretly Pleads Guilty to Making False Statements to the FBI About His Contacts With Russian Government Agents During the 2016 Election
- October 27, 2017- Grand Jury Indicts Individuals in Russia Probe, Judge Seals Indictment Documents
- October 30, 2017
- 8:00am- Special Counsel’s Office Announces Indictment of Paul Manafort and His Associate Rick Gates Along With Charges Against Them
- 8:25am- Paul Manafort Surrenders to FBI
- 10:20am- President Trump Tweets About Indictments Writing “…Also there is NO COLLUSION!”
- 11:00am- Special Counsel Announces Arraignment Hearing For Manafort and Gates is Scheduled for 1:30pm
- 1:40pm- Manafort and Gates Plead “Not Guilty” to All Charges
This story is developing, and will be updated after Manafort and Gates make their first court appearance Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:30pm.
Cover Photo courtesy of Getty Images.